Tuesday, July 19, 2011

ADD Dinner


Last night we had two couples over for dinner. Every once in awhile I like to add a little more chaos to the work day by cleaning up planning a meal and preparing it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s all worth it. Come to think of it, it wouldn’t matter if I planned it 3 months ago cause I would still be running around getting ready. Why? Because it is right at the end of my “work day” which is always filled with creativity and the proverbial phrase I say to myself, “If I could just finish…” place in there anything from painting to emailing to looking for inspiration for the next day.

But, all that isn’t what this post is about. It’s about introducing the right mix of creative people to each other and seeing what happens. I love this part! There is a book called “The Tipping Point” by Malcom Gladwell which talks about three types of people; connectors, mavens, and salesmen. Connectors know everyone and are willing to share info by connecting with everyone. You’ll know who they are. They are easy to spot on FB. They have the most friends. Then there are the mavens. They are the ones with a strong desire to help others. They are the ones on FB always posting articles and forwarding posts. In my opinion they are the fine line between the squeaky wheel and the creative type with full on inspiration. Finally, there are the salesmen. These are the people with the passion for getting the word out there. They aren’t on FB. They are calling you on the phone.

My little soirĂ©e had a musician and his lovely wife who has the corporate gig going, but moonlights as a retro hip blogger and traveler. The second couple, both who are in the field of helping and saving lives by night or wee hours of the morning depending on their schedule are also creating art or searching out the newest musical talent. All have a deep passion and creative edge that keeps the conversation lively moving and often off track. Speaking as one with a short attention span, I think I can speak for the other guys when I say, if it weren’t for our wives reminding us of our main point we would still be talking.

Ok, what was the main point of this post…Oh for dessert we had Victory Storm King Stout Floats with the Victory Storm King Ice Cream with little chunks of chocolate malt. Awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention "The Tipping Point". I mentioned that book to the owner of the "Other Colors Gallery". He was talking about how he's got to get his head around making his new gallery work. I said to him you it would be a good idea to find the connectors as I think he did with John Hannafin. I went on to say, another person who is likely a connector is Jeff Schaller, because he's organized the artist crit group and other successful shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael - that book is awesome, i recommend it to everyone. Thanks for mentioning me.

    ReplyDelete